Friday, April 24, 2009

Lemon Cupcakes and Ice Cubes

picture of Lily and her beautiful curls
My precious little grandchildren, oh how I adore them.
On Tuesday I spent the day with my four-year-old granddaughter and my year-old grandson. My heart was dancing as Lily answered the door, all excited as she squealed, "Grandma! Grandma! Grandma!" She greeted me with a big hug and the prettiest smile I've ever seen.
While Mike worked with Andy around the house all day, getting things done that needed fixed or built, I spent hours with Lily and Liam, playing, chasing, watching, and thoroughly enjoying being a grandma!
I think the sweetest part of the day was when Lily brought a lemon cupcake to the table and asked me if she could share it with me. She'd break off a piece and give it to me, and break off another for herself, and on it went till the cupcake was gone.
In the afternoon, she took a cup of ice cubes outside to melt in the sun, and then came back in and read me story after story. Really, truly ... she's actually reading! When she finally went outside to check her ice cubes, they had begun to melt but the cup still had bits and pieces of ice in it. She brought them in, got a plastic spoon from one of her kitchen toys, and began feeding me the ice cubes with it. It was such a special time of sharing and snuggling, and I'll remember it for the rest of my life!
picture of year-old LiamLiam is still too little to do much aside from chasing around and exploring new ways to get himself into mischief, but I hope one day we'll have the same kinds of tender moments and priceless memories.

No comments: