Monday, July 20, 2009

Forty Years


It has been forty years since men first landed and walked on the moon. I seem to remember the actual event, but none of the Apollo missions leading up to it. Tonight, I watched coverage of it all on The Discovery Channel, up to and including the landing of the Eagle, and it was all brand new!view of Earth from the moon
Why do I not remember all this space stuff? Wasn't it talked about in school? It was current events in third through sixth grade, yet I have no recollection of most of it.
In the midst of all the Vietnam, Cuba, Russia, and cold war stories going on every evening on the news, my parents thought they were doing me a favor by shielding me from such talk. I don't remember them ever allowing me to watch the news. "It might upset her," they thought. Oh, I'm sure there had to be some things they chose to expose me to, but I don't remember many of them.
Now I wonder how many more historical events I missed out on. I doubt if a high school history class would take an old lady in her 50's but the internet would probably have more detailed information anyway. But it makes me sad that I was right there in the middle of the excitement for all those years and never knew it. Would someone please invent a time machine? And make it quick ... I have a lot to catch up on!

No comments: