Friday, September 29, 2006

Regarding The Rhinoceros

I've been asked to relate the tale of the rhino's hurt feelings ... Well ...

This story convinced me beyond all doubt that animals understand every word we say. I took my little boys to Reid Park Zoo in Tucson when they were very young. As we reached the white rhino enclosure, one of them walked over to the edge like he was trying to be friendly. Right up close, I looked him square in the face and told him he was the ugliest creature I had ever seen in my life. I'm telling you the truth ... his head hit the ground. He was crushed!! He turned and walked away, leaving me with the worst case of the guilts that lingered for several years. One day we went back to the zoo and a rhino (who knows if it was even the same one) was already grazing over by the fence. If I thought I could've gotten away with it, I'd have jumped the fence and given that animal a hug. Instead, I told him how very very sorry I was for making such a cruel remark ... he really wasn't ugly in the least. God made him very special and very beautiful, and he should be proud to be a rhinoceros. He looked at me and, no kidding, he raised his head up, his eyes were twinkling, and I thought he was going to dance! I'm still ashamed to have made the unkind remark in the first place but I was grateful for the chance to atone for it, and now I have a genuine appreciation for rhinos as the truly unique animals God created them to be.

No comments: